8.28.2007

The Bible and the Search For Meaning

A constant struggle we have in our home is the amount of time the t.v. is on and what shows are appropriate for our 8-year old daughter. Needless to say, her opinions differ from ours on both counts. In addition, the other day she complained about going to church because church is "boring." When I suggested that t.v was also boring, she was ready with a strong defense of television.
Our daughter's thoughts are reflective of the culture in which she lives. She wants to be entertained every minute of every day and she searches for entertainment and "fun" through the t.v. shows she likes to watch. She is not old enough yet to make a lot of use of the internet or make a lot of decisions about her clothes or the music she listens to, but that day will come soon.
Terry Mattingly, in his book Pop Goes Religion: Faith in Popular Culture makes the following observations: "The world of entertainment and mass communications -- through television, radio, contemporary music, movies, magazines, art, video games and pop literature -- is indisputably the most extensive and influential theological training system in the world. from commercials to sitcoms, from biographies to hit songs, from computer simulation games to talk shows, God's principles are challenged every moment of every day, in very entertaining, palatable and discreet ways. Few Christians currently have the intellectual and spiritual tools to identify and reject the garbage" (xxi).
"Unbelievers wrestle with the same deep questions believers have . . . Who am I? Where did I come from? Where am I going? Does life make sense? Why is there suffering and evil in the world? What is my purpose in life? How can I learn to get along with people? (179).
The question for today: Do you agree with Mattingly's observations? Is there a way to reconcile the deep, ongoing questions people have about their lives with the ever-changing pop culture in which people often seek answers? Can the Bible have relevance for a culture that gets its theological training primarily through sound bites, song lyrics, and internet sites? If so, how? If not, why not?

46 comments:

Anonymous said...

One major theme of the blog is reflecting upon worldviews, the philosophical frameworks that people use to synthesize their experiences with themselves and world. Worldviews are characterized by 'ultimate questions' that everyone faces (ex. Why am I here? Where did I come from? What happens when I die? etc.). Clearly, there are many different answers to these questions that can be grouped into many different 'philosophies' or 'worldviews' that pervade pop culture. Is there any way to assess and evaluate the multitude of answers posed to these ultimate, philosophical questions? Is every answer just as valid as another? I would propose 3 'tests' of philosophical answers that may help us move towards a better assessment of the plethora of perspectives we encounter in pop culture. First, the test of reason (is the answer rational? coherent? non-contradictory?). The presence of a logical contradiction is always a sign of error. Yet the 'reason test' is only a negative test -- i.e., the presence of a contradiction will alert us to the presence of error, but the absence of contradiction does not guarantee the truth. So, the second test of experience (does the answer fit with the way I and others experience the world?). Some domains of pop culture herald that humanity is innately good and so religion & morality is unnecessary. Yet, my experience and the experience of many others seems to speak against that claim (e.g., I don't have to teach my toddler son to be selfish or disobey). Finally, the practical test (can I live this way?). If pop culture is telling me that a valid moral point of view is to do whatever makes me happy, then can I practically live in a world in which I cannot condemn the pedophile or child pornographer's actions because they claim the pursuit makes them happy? Maybe a good way to reflect, analyze, and evaluate pop culture and the relevance of religion and church would be to consider the philosophical foundations upon which they rest.

Anonymous said...

I agree that the medias used today to entertain ourselves and our families challenge our Christian beliefs every day. But we as parents and individuals have to make the personal decisions on what and what is not acceptable for us to consume. I am a communications major, so I have to say also that I do not agree with the ongoing contoversial of goverment censorship. It is not the government's position to be in to determine what the nation consumes on a daily basis. We as individuals have to make decisions, based on our personal beliefs, morals, and ethics, on what media types we choose to consume on a daily basis, and to what degrees.

Anonymous said...

heheheh

Anonymous said...

GRyles said
Please ignore the previous blog. I typed all of my information and it was lost and so I did a test. For those who do not remember, hit the anonymous identity.
Anyway, I can understand why children are not interested in going to church. It is not fun. They have to behave and be quiet and listen. Children are too curious at a young age. They want to know everything and it is hard to explain to a child that they should just believe. When you have a pacifier, the child knows to take it because it gives them instant gratification. They like the toys that make loud noises, move and have pretty colors.
As teenagers, they too want that gratification but in a different sense. They want to play video games, go out with the cute boy or girl and go to parties. When they are at the parties, they hear about sex, drugs and rock and roll, not the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit. I think this is what separates adults from youth. Older people know they like these things and they should figure out ways to outsmart them. Listen to the children. Give them some of the things they love but be creative in the way things are done. Make what their doing a lesson of some sort, even if they do not know they are learning.
I was talking with some friends of mine tonight about the show Family Guy. Children want to watch it because it is animated and they equate this with fun. However, adults know the show is full of innuendos. Both the young and old enjoy it but for different reasons. But as adults we must realize that this is where being the adult is just that. We must make the decisions as to what is right and wrong. We must learn to draw the line. We decide on what is appropriate. In todays society, the internet has opened up a world that is genius in technology but it has also allowed our children a world that can be dangerous. Adults must be vigilante. Know what your children are doing. Put the computer in the den and not the bedroom. We must also teach them the difference in right and wrong. We must let them know that life is not always about having fun. They must take the good with the bad. One of my favorite things to tell children is that if they like to read, they can go anywhere in the world and never leave home. Encourage them. Make it sound magical. It will peak their interest.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mattingly's observations. He is right it is sad to say but the world is getting more technological and the bible needs to be portrayed more through tv, internet, and song lyrics because that is what the young people of today pay attention to. I personally dont read the bible enough and it would influence me tremendously by hearing it in technological ways. Music would be one of the most influential ways to broadcast it. I can change a persons point of view in a heartbeat.

Anonymous said...

That last comment was sent by me

Anonymous said...

I believe that in todays society music and tv shows have a big influence on peoples lives. Most of the tv shows and music videos are all fantasy intertainment. With this in mind I think the bible could have a impact on how people live there lives and make descions.Futhermore I agree with Mattingly's observations.

Anonymous said...

I too, being a mother of three, agree with Mattingly. I know that I have an easier time getting my children to listen or to watch something with a biblical basis if and only if it is something on T.V. I usually try to listen to a Gospel radio station and I try to get my children to watch Veggie Tales. That works only for my 7 year old and my baby. My oldest daughter is 11 years old and is having a difficult time answering all of the questions that a teenage girl has. We as a family have not started back to a church since we moved here, but I commend those churches that have implemented a "children's church". I think that this is a great way to try to answer some of the questions that the younger children may have. I also agree that it is up to parents to be vigilant in assisting our children on their search for faith.

S said...

I think that childern should not watch t.v as much because thier are a lot of cartoons that they do not need to watch.They can find something else to do with their time.Some video games are good for childern but not all. Some have too much cursing and killing.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mattingly somewhat. Yes today's society is based on technology. Yes television, the internet, and radio are big influeces on society, but not all of it is bad. In Columbia there is a whole radio station dedicated to playing Christian music. Now granted that this is not what most teens now-a-days listen to but it is out there none-the-less. It is not so much as the good doesn't exist it is that the bad overshadows the good because it is more popular. It is the hip thing to listen to.

The world has such a negative view on religion that people have almost become scared of it. Many will even hesitate to even bring it up in conversation with close friends because they are afraid to offend somebody. The world is so up tight with Political Correctness that everything that is said has to be censored. This is a testament to how degraded our society has become. I have to be careful, now, even to tell a joke because it might hurt somebody's feelings or offend them.

Look for the bare necessities,
The simple bare necessities,
Forget about your worries and your strife.


If society would relax and not be so up tight with all this political correctness, we could get down to the true meaning of life, and when we do I know just where to find the answers you are looking for.

Anonymous said...

i agree with michael. True there are lots of corrupt and bad things on our tv sets, computer screens and cell phones, but choices to use these negative resources is where it all goes wrong. Just like there are bad things with our technology, there are plenty of useful things; again its all about the choices we make. But isnt that how God work? He gives us choices to make, to follow him or not for example. Its what we choose that affects how we live. I dont see why we shouldnt use our resources for good, and let us and everyone around us benefit from it.

Anonymous said...

To comment on your daughter saying church is boring, it is easy to find something we are not interested in boring. Something you are not willing to give yourself to, you find boring. I am a huge NASCAR fan. People ask me repeatedly, "how can you watch that? All they do is go in circles." Yeah, maybe, but to me the sport is a lot more than that. I picked a driver so I have someone to root for. There is also a science to the sport. The more you understand about the science the more you get into the sport. Understanding the sport of NASCAR is something that takes time. You have to give yourself to it.

It is the same way with a book, not just the Bible, but anybook. If you don't like to read you have to work hard to get into a book. You have to just sit down and make yourself read. You have to give yourself to the book until the story picks up and the action starts moving.

Technology today has taught society that it is okay to be mindlessly entertained. To just okay to sit in infront of the television on Sunday morning. That it is okay to have no imagination. Well I've got news for you...it is NOT okay.

You need to give yourself to things and they will become fun. Give of yourself, your time, and your possesions, signs of his gracious love, and maybe, just maybe, you will get something out of church too.

Anonymous said...

My whole out look on this is that everything starts at home.The way that a lot of people of coming up in todays age and time yes the time does get hearded but the important thing to remember is to stay strong in what you believe. Parents need to bee more out spoken about what happens or what goes on in there childs life. These are the key things to having a great understanding of what goes on in your childs life.

Anonymous said...

I would also agree with Ryan. Parents do need to be invovled in there kids lives until good habits are formed. Just be careful that these same parents don't turn into helecopter parents.

Anonymous said...

I think that today's society is influenced by technology. It used to be a time where kids would love to go to church, but now they say I'll just watch it on tv. I also agree with Ryan I think that everything a child does starts at home. There was a point and time in my life where I just went to church, because I knew I had to but different situations in my life made me want to go to church for me. Not for anybody else. If it was my child I would give them a list of questions to answer: How do you think we got this tv? God helped me to find a job so that I could buy this for you. How do you think you got up this morning? It sure wasn't the alarm clock. I would mtell the child that they should have something that they want to thank God for everyday. As far as television.....it is good to a point. You have to determine where to draw the line at for your child.

Anonymous said...

I agree partically with Mattingly's observation. I think if we looked we could find God in the different things he listed. It all depends on what music or television program you are watching. There are a lot of vulgar activites happening on the television screen and a lot of bad influences in the pop culture. I personally try to stay away from these influence. This is a choice in my life. If I can't find God in it, then I don't take part.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with wayne potts. Television has a big influence on not only children, but also teens. Some of the things that we watch that are just fiction, we sometime want to make it happen in reality. If there was a t.v show or a video, or song that talks about the bible in a more intresting way, there would be more children that would get involved in biblical events and they would find some of the answers that they are looking for.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Michael and Chas when they say not all technology is bad. It's what you choose to watch or listen to. It's plenty of gospel music or music that is not bad you just have to find it and listen to it. I also agree with Ryan. He says everything starts at home. If you raise your children to go to church and read books and things of that sort they will do it, but if you let them spend all their time watching t.v and playing video games then thats what they will do. Jrohland says that she listens to gospel radio and lets her kids watch veggie tales. That is a good thing because they will be influenced by what everyone else is doing but I think they will be more inflenced by what they do at home and what their mother teaches them.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Michael when he says not all technology is bad. There is plenty of movies and songs about the Bible, it's just a matter of watching and listening to them. I also agree with Ben when he says the technology is constantly advancing. To get children interested in almost anything, they want it to be presented in an interesting way through a gadget or TV. Music is a great way to educate children on the Bible. I also agree with Ryan saying everything starts in the home. If Jrohland has her children listening to gospel and watching veggie tales to keep them some what educated with the Bible that is probably the best way to do it. Children constantly need entertainment and with something like the Bible that tends to be boring to most children, technology is the way to go.

Anonymous said...

I agree partially with Mattingly's observation. I believe that the type of technology you expose your child to and the age that you expose it determines how it effects the child's life. I agree with Ryan about everything starting in the home. I believe that the parents have the biggest influence over their children. I agree with hporter in the fact that technology is not bad. I believe that it should not be viewed that way as well. If parents are involved in their kids lives and help them develop opinions then their children should be more apt to make good decisions.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Terry Mattingly's observations; however I also believe in a persons ability to make their own decisions. A few people have stated that they agree with Mattingly and that perhaps the Bible and I even dare say religion as a whole and in general need to keep up with the times - that is it would be easier to get others involved and interested in the Bible, God, and religion if it were in music, on t.v. or in movies. WELL people here's the thing - it already is. I believe the sheer and utter honest bitter truth is that people are lazy. I know i don't read the Bible enough!!!! The solution is to force kids to go to church and yes try to relate to them on a level that they will not only understand but enjoy. Growing up I wasn't big on going to church and i'm still not but I do believe in God, the Bible and its teaching because of my parents pressing the issue of me going to church and taking an interest in the Bible. As for all of us who are not 8 years old, its time to pick up a Bible and do some reading that is not required. The Bible, God, and religion are already in the entertainment industry enough. The one thing that i love about the Bible is that it isn't up to date. There's actually something in this world that is not based around a computer or t.v. screen. I think the Bible's lack of technology, so to speak, is one of the things that makes it unique.

Anonymous said...

Eric said ...To some kids TV is more fun to watch than going to church it’s because the kids are younger and don’t want to do boring things and that’s what church is to them boring. They would rather watch TV than to go to church. I think it is wrong for a child to want to watch TV. than to go to church. I think kids need to be in church more than anything because they need to live a good life. Eric Huggins

Anonymous said...

The answers to these questions can be found in different places depending on who the person is and what or where they look to find their answers whether it be the tv, magazines, music, the Bible or a number of other things. The Bible can have relevance for any culture because what it says and teaches can be applied to any lifestyle at any point over the course of time.

Anonymous said...

I also agree with Mattingly. Technology has advanced and continues to advance. Not only children but everyone finds entertainment in things such as the T.V., the radio, and the internet. Just like other people have commented, that does not mean that all technology is bad. I dont believe it is that people are afraid of Religion, I believe that people's time is occupied with so much other stuff that they dont make the time to delve into the Bible. People are always going to have questions about Who they are and why the are here. Those types of questions are a part of growing up. Parents can require their children to go to church and read the Bible and only watch and listen to religious programs, but in the end, when that Child grows up, he or she will inevitably make the final decision about what they believe on their own.

Anonymous said...

The world today is nothing but technology. It is so hard to run across traditional church-goers because the technological advancements have caught the eyes of many people around the world. Needless to say, there are still many traditional church-goers, just not as many as there used to be. I agree that the advanced world has become a huge distraction to many, but the choices that we make are a big part of who we are and who we have become. You can not persuade people to go drive to church anymore mainly because it is easily accessible on television nowadays. There are even audible cds out now where you can listen to a sermon while driving in your car. Honestly, I believe that the new technology has had a huge impact on our society as a whole in many different aspects, good and bad. Good because the average person today listens to nothing but the radio, cds, and the television now and if 'church' is more easily accessible in those terms then so be it. That is a good thing that church services can now be viewed on t.v., especially for the elders or disabled who can not physically go to church. So, in that sense, the technology has done some good to our society. There are also negative aspects towards the advancements in technology. These negatives include harsh music, provocative t.v. shows, and much more. However, it is your personal choice whether or not you watch or listen to such things. Technology is not bad, however it is not always good either. People can make their own choice whether to watch a religious show or to watch a provocative one. This is not the end of technology and it will always be on the rise, so make the right decisions now.

Anonymous said...

I do agree with Mattingly's observations on kids and why they don't want to go to church. I know when i was younger, my grandparents would have to basically drag me out from in front of the tv to go to church. When kids go to church, all they see is an old person constantly talking which seems very boring. Tv for them is fun and full of different material which keeps them entertained. Because church is boring to them, I believe that is why kids are usually taken to another place to learned about the Bible and God but it a different and more fun way. As those children get older, it still may seem to be boring but they are understanding the material more and the message behind it. With age, the children will see what church is really about.

Anonymous said...

There are many temptations in today's society which do prevent us from going to church. I definitely agree upon that in this reading. I was the same as d. kinard. It seemed so hard to wake up so early to go to church because one of my favorite television shows would be on during the time that I am at church. New technology really makes it hard to spare time for church. I have had trouble with that, but I am trying to get back into the groove of going to church constantly again. Technology really has deprived of church time over the years and it will continue into the future as well.

Anonymous said...

Mattingly makes a very good point on how the world views Christianity and where it is placed in society today. Like Ben and Gryles said the t.v. shows and movies people watch today are a hard competition for the bible and Christian values. when the media constantly puts out all this secular material and all these bad things people get used to it and instead of trying to stop it they just say "well it happens all the time, kids having pre-marital sex, doing drugs, smuthering themeselves in worldly things. its not like we can do anything." when in reality there are things you can do. some people above me mention things like making the bible more interesting and stickin it on television and in movies. well you can, and they have. But when it comes to the younger croud movies like The Passion and The Nativity Scene aren't all that appealing to the younger generation. maybe taking bible stories and making them into a series that is closer to our generation would make kids more interested. we see reality shows all the time about people living together and how they get along like the REal world. well why not get a group of Christian youth together, all in diffrent areas of faith together to make a show. the show would be just as interesting, you could do all the same activities that the real world does but there would just be a diffrent overall way of how they do these things. like instead of going to a bar or night clubs all the time they would go bowling and just hang out and have fun.
the point is, the world is a tough competition but it wont be if the christian society doesn't stand up and put up a good fight. they had to struggle in the past with getting people to know and believe God, just because the times change doesn't mean the effort should.

Anonymous said...

I think the most important point that Mattingly makes relates back to Christian's first comment. The whole basis of both religion and pop culture is the basic question, "Who am I?" Most people have a desire to find out their origins, their purpose, and their end in life.
Mattingly says, "God's principles are challenged every moment of every day, in very entertaining, palatable and discreet ways," and I agree with him here. The biggest challenge to that basic "who am I" question comes from popular culture in the way that tv, movies, video games, and the internet shows society the "way" they should be. Mass media glorifies people like Paris Hilton. What does this say to a younger generation? "This is who I should be." As RGyles said, "Younger people hear about sex, drugs, and rock and roll, not the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit." There are so many influential teens digesting a smorgasbord of ways they "have" to live their lives to be popular.
But, as proven by time, most everything of a particular culture fades away after some number of years. People don't wear parachute pants anymore, and in 20 years people probably won't wear skinny-leg jeans with holes purposely ripped in them. Fads die out. I love what Molly said about the best thing about the Bible was that it isn't up to date. The Bible isn't a fad...it's been around for a lot longer than any other trend. In this way, the Bible can most certainly have meaning in today's ever-changing culture as something solid to fall back on and really base your life on.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mattingly's observations. But with our technological advancements does it really turn our focus off of religion? No, absolutely not! People are going to do what they want, no matter what they hear or see. I agree with aamick comment, these advancements are not bad but what it really boils down to is your parents. They should control what you watch and read and hear until you get old and responsible enough to make your own decisions and beliefs.

Anonymous said...

Television, Music, Internet..It's just all apart of life these days. There are many influential factors which may be exploited through songs and shows, but no matter what, people are going to keep listening, watching, and surfing the internet. The sad part is, most of the people in this world would rather watch a Rated-R movie than read the Bible for ten minutes. I feel if you are a strong christian you will always find time to be one with the Lord, and not worry about all the negative influences that has overtaken many. I'm not saying it's totally bad what people do to have fun, and to seek their entertainment, but it's a whole different generation, and life now is totally different than it was even ten years ago. As Ty said, entertainment shouldn't throw people off course with their religion. Religion has nothin to do with the entertainment industry and what people do on their own time. Even though some of the things in entertainment portray unethical topics, and f this f that lyrics; movies, and songs were made for entertainment. This was all created for the peoples entertainment, so the "people" need to control what they watch or listen to.

Anonymous said...

Yes I do agree with Mattingly's observations. There is not a way to stop the way the has turned out to be. The Bible can have relevance to culture just on a indival basis. The world is going to hell in a hand baskett and there is nothing any one can do to stop it.


Comment to Daniel Nelson Is it technology that is the problem or is it you just not putting God first in your life.

Anonymous said...

I think that many of people today do ask themselves those questions sometime or another in their life. I also agree with the Ty's comment that no matter what people say we as humans are going to keep doing what we want. No matter if that means watching a Rated-R movie rather than going to church.
Also with the way that our society is today technology is a major part of our everyday lives. We can try to pull away from it, but no matter what with the way our society is today we will always go back to it.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mattingly's observations. Religion has to be ever changing with the generations. Today you can hear songs about God on any radio station, in any genre. TV shows have surfaced such as Saving Grace and there are set channels for church services any time of day. This is our cultures way of keeping religion in our lives and to keep it going. Entertainment is a key part of religion now.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mattingly's observations. Religion has to be ever changing with the generations. Today you can hear songs about God on any radio station, in any genre. TV shows have surfaced such as Saving Grace and there are set channels for church services any time of day. This is our cultures way of keeping religion in our lives and to keep it going. Entertainment is a key part of religion now.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mattingly's observations. Religion has to be ever changing with the generations. Today you can hear songs about God on any radio station, in any genre. TV shows have surfaced such as Saving Grace and there are set channels for church services any time of day. This is our cultures way of keeping religion in our lives and to keep it going. Entertainment is a key part of religion now.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mattingly's observations. The media greatly influences society. If the entertainment world portrays religion a certain way, then the audience is going to start thinking that same idea. Though the Bible was written 2,000 years ago, it still deals with issues of today's society like helping others and marriage. The Bible is not outdated. But people can still find God in entertainment. Bands, like Relient K and neetobreathe, have positive, uplifting lyrics that people can listen to and worship God in their cars. Entertainment can have either negative affect or a positive affect of a person's religious views.

Anonymous said...

I agree with what Mattingly said as well to a certain extent. T.V the internet and other forms of technology are a source for some bad influences on todays young people. There are lots of bad things out there to drive people away from religion and lead them on the wrong path, but like Ty said your parents should control what you see. If your parents dont want you seeing certain things that are on t.v or internet, and if they dont want you hearing certain things on the radio they can prevent you from seeing/hearing them. If you want your children watching certain things then make them watch certain things. Like jdun and lholland said there are plenty of Christian t.v networks, radio stations, and internet sites that people can find. If a parent truly cares about what their kids see they can steer them along the right path.

Anonymous said...

The media is a very effective tool when trying to reach a large audience in the world today. A few posts said that the bible should be portrayed more through tv and songs. We already have that. What do you guys think VeggieTales or Christian Rock is? Others have already thought of this and set the plan into action. It's entertaining and it teaches others about the Bible in a way that is interesting and part of the pop culture we are all so used to.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mattingly in certain ways. TV and communications are used in many bad ways, but we have to aggre that at the same time the new techonoly help us to have an easier life. It is true that people seek for answers in in the pop culture and it is a very dangerous option because it can lead you to the wrong place in the wrong moment.Like Mbibbins said there are many things like religous tv channels, radio channel and many things that a kid can use to grow up, but the hard thing to do is to isolate your kid form the wrong and evil things on earth.

Anonymous said...

I do not agree that our entertainment now is a bad thing. I know that it should not be abused. no body should just sit there and watch tv or listen to the radio everyday. everything should be down with moderation. TV and the radio are a big reason why people get away from natural desasters, or when something is happening somewhere the radio and tv let us know exactly what is giong on. for example when there was the shoting in does schools some of the kids got away because of tv, radio and internet. So we can not critizes evrything about them. Good and evil is just part of life. anything that is good can also be bad. I think everybody in this world ask what is there purpose on this earth but there is no answer so we have to go look for ourselves.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mattingly's observations to a certain extent. Everything in today's society challenges God's principles. There are alot of bad tv shows, songs, and things on the internet that go against God, or do not portray good Christian qualities. However, you do not have to watch those bad tv shows, listen to the bad songs, or look at the bad things on the internet. Like Mbibbins said, there are plenty of Christian tv channels, radio stations, and websites. The hard thing is to protect yourself and kids from all of the bad influences in the media. But if you are a good Christian, you can learn how to do the right thing, and realize when you shouldn't be paying attention to something challenging God in a bad way.

S said...

I have to agree with the points that the last three people made coments that were made. Their are things that challenge God's principles. Some of the tv shows that come on today have a major impact on what goes on today.When you think about the issue concering God, some things are going to change and he already knew that their was going to be a chance so some of the things happen for a reason.

Anonymous said...

I do agree that the media does play a big role in our society and it can sometimes influence us to act in certain ways. Like mwofford said, media does goes agaisnt certain teachings of the Bible. It is up to the viewer to decide what is right and wrong for their own life. Also some media can show good morals to follow.

Unknown said...

(KENDALL GLENN)Yes I do think that people can find answers that they ask themselves daily about their lives. These song lyrics and internet sites are just obstacles that are put out there to distract us as a whole. Most of the time all of these are created by people who dont beleive in christianity so that would explain it. But you can always find relevance to anything in the bible...anything.

pimpdyoung said...

I agree with Mattingly observation's because technology has taken over the universe, but there are many benefits of technology you can watch preachers, listen to gospel and if you don't know what something in the bible means you can look it up