A few weeks ago, a man knocked on our door and asked if we knew Jesus Christ. Of course, I found it ironic that this person mysteriously appeared at our door on the same day we hung the Halloween decorations in the window, but that's beside the point. My husband assured the man that we were Christians. After all, my husband was a Lutheran pastor for 12 years, and I am still a Lutheran pastor and a religion professor at a Christian school. We go to church regularly, we pray before meals and at bedtime, we read the Bible, give money to charities, all that stuff that Christians are supposed to do, right? Well, it seems this was not enough. I wasn't the one standing at the door, but I heard the conversation get a little heated. Apparently, the man at the door didn't think we were Christian enough, or we weren't Christian in the right way. His concern was that we could be lumped in with the ministers he knew who would "go to the bar on Saturday night and then try to tell people how to live on Sunday morning" (his words). My husband assured him that we were on the straight and narrow (aside from the pagan Halloween witch adorning our door), but it took a door in the face to persuade the man that we were good Christians and to please leave.
This sort of door-to-door evangelism has always baffled me, particularly since I come from a faith tradition that doesn't do it much. My question is, What's the point? Are "evangelists" trying to save the sinful? Are they trying to persuade a person to adhere to the evangelist's own faith perspective? Are they trying to spread some good news about Jesus' death and resurrection and leave it at that? And, what if they run into people who already believe? What is the point then? In addition, why is it that that person hasn't been back at our door in over 3 weeks?
I say all this to get us thinking about Paul, the evangelist. Paul saw it as his mission to spread the good news of Christ to the entire known world, and for the most part he did. Over the course of about 15 years, he established Christian churches from Palestine to Rome. He endured suffering and imprisonment. He stood before numerous heads of government pleading his cause. He went from town to town, preaching, healing, and teaching about Christ. I'm positive that many people wanted to slam the door in his face, and I'm positive that many did, but he kept at it anyway. Why? Because Paul felt he had been called to this particular ministry by none other than Jesus himself. And, the thing to remember about Paul is that he didn't stop after he built a church. He continued to correspond with the people of that church and to help them through the persecutions they faced. These correspondences are the letters we have preserved in the New Testament.
My question to you is this: What is the purpose of evangelism? Even if we start from the premise that people can and do change their minds about what they believe, why is evangelism necessary? Paul obviously thought it was necessary, and without his efforts, I'm not sure where the Christian faith would be today. Keeping in mind that Christianity is one of only a handful of faiths that evangelizes at all, and that there are different types of evangelism (like service work or working with some faith-based non-profits) what is the mission? Do you think it works? In other words, can Christian evangelism today have the same effect that it did in Paul's day? Why or why not?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
41 comments:
The purpose of being an evangelist is simply spreading the gospel. The same thing this guy was doing, unfortunately he was being rude, but spreading the word. Even if people to start to change their minds, there will always be non believers. That is why evangalism is necessary. Basically God wanted paul to do three things:This the mission of evangelism.
1. Go Spread the gospel
2. Turn non-believers to Believers
3. Grant forgivness
In my opinion evangelism would not work like it did back in pauls day. The largest religion in the world is Christianity. There is onlly so many people you could convert and many people will not convert their religious beliefs.
-Blake Hughes
I agree with the previous statement when said that evangelism really wouldn't work today as it did then. Times have changed too much. There are more people in this world way to many to try and convert all of them - well at least one person; there are new religious and non religious beliefs that would conflict, and in today's society there are those that just plane dont' care enough to listen. However, that is not to say that some people cannot be converted - actually it happens everyday. Paul was trying to change everybody, trying to get the word out through gospel to try and turn non-believers into believers. The problem just as it was then as it is today is that yes there are some people who can be easily perusaded in changing their religion and beliefs; however, just as this evangelist was so passionate about his faith, so are others in their faith. Its okay that he might want to give his perspective on what he believes but to try and ram down y'alls throat what he believed until you agreed was wrong. Just as he is devout in his beliefs, you are just as devout in your's and some people will just never change.
In this world there are people born and raised to be an evangelist. Evangelist seem to think now days that they are all holy and no the do not have any sins. Little do they know they are WRONG the reason why some people Ignore Evangelist is because they have gotten a bad rep of being just that "judgemental".Evangelist will never be like paul. Now days in America people believed in there owned beliefs, no matter if you are a christian or not. Another reason is that Evangelist do not know how to leave people along when they ask. I don't think being a Evangelist well work because no one well listen.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age." -- Matthew 28:19-20 NRSV
This is the great commmision. This is the reason we evangelize. We evangelize because we are called to do so. I would agree wiht Robert when he says that evangelist have gotten a bad rep, because they have. However, there are some who believe and follow these evangelist. That is there choice.
I know that in the church I come from we don't go door to door. We don't go around with bullhorns and flyers and stand on street corners. While there is nothing wrong with this, it is not the tradition I came up in. I come from a tradition of "Doers." Instead of going around spreading the gospel by word, I spread the good news by my action. I am reminded of a song. The refrain goes, "And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love
Yes, They will know we are Christians by our love."
This song is all about evanelizing by doing.
I would also agree that evangelism today could not work as it did in Paul's day for the same reasons as are stated above.
Since the Old Testament, God has instructed people to spread His word. Perhaps the most famous of these instances can be found in Isaiah 6:8: "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said, 'Here am I. Send me!' He said: 'Go and tell this people...'". In the New Testament, Jesus also commanded His followers to spread the Gospel in the Great Commission. Thus, evangelism is spreading God's word to unbelievers. While evangelism is certainly difficult in today's secular world, I do not believe that evangelizing is any less effective than it was in Paul's day. Paul did not have any of the mediums (TV, Internet, Radio) that we have today. Paul literally had to travel to the ends of the earth to spread the Gospel. Conversely, all we have to do is press a button to convey the Gospel message across the world. Furthermore, Christianity was a new and unaccepted religion in Paul's time. Now, in most of the industrialized world at least, Christianity is an accepted and mainstream religion. For these reasons, I believe that evangelism is probably more effective in today's society than it was in Paul's day. Like Robert says, however, some evangelists can be domineering and self-righteous. Jesus Himself said in Matthew 10:14 that, "If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town." Some evangelists, I believe, ignore this command. Especially in today's society, imposing Christianity on a nonbeliever, or anyone for that matter, will likely make him or her even more skeptical and resentful. When someone refuses the gospel message, I will have to confer with Michael and say that Christians must evangelize in the way that they live; nonbelievers will be able to see a difference in the way that Christians live as compared with the secular world. Thus, Christians are on a mission to evangelize all of the time. If evangelists emulate the attitudes and actions of Jesus and Paul, I think that spreading the Gospel will be effective.
I think that evangelism would never have the same effect on people the way that paul had on people during his day. Now days, people usually have a concrete perception on what they believe. In order to change that you would have to have some sort of proof or evidence. Just like in court. In order for the jury to believe you, you have to come with some proof.
And if someone changes their belief because of what someone else says, than they were not faithful believers anyway.
I totally agree with the idea that pauls work can not be as effective today as it was back then. People these days are stubborn plain and simple.As said before proof has to be given for people to believe things now a days becasue there are so many people trying to trick you into things. For example all of the shopping carts in the middle of the malls. Those venders are always trying to trick you into buying something you really dont want buy saying it is the best quality when it cost you ten dollars for a "diamond" watch. This is what people today think of the men who walk door to door trying to spread news. Most of the time they think that they are trying to trick them into buying something or beliving something that is false. Evangelists have no chance in the world today.
I agree that evangelism would't have the same impact that Paul had in his day because people today will get real irritated and start threatening people that just pop up at their doors telling them what to do. The purpose of evangelism is to spread the word. Evangelism is necessary because. You can't change everybody because there are always gonna be people that don't agree with what you believe.
I believe that evangilism is very important for religion. Spreading the word of Jesus is necessary, but you cant cross the line. Everybody is free to believe what they want. Back in Paul days religion brougth the ligth and peace to many. I also agree with Ben when he talks about how evangelists do not have a chance in our society. I believe that religion helps our society and easier place to live.
Evangilism is still alive today as much as it was in Pauls' day's, if not more. There will always be evangelist in the christian society. The purpose of it is to keep people going and keep them on the right track, and to make sure that Christians are always pursuing for the better life. As Christians we need to be thankful for evangelist like Paul himself, because where would we be without it and him? I also agree with Sami about how religion is improtant but you can cross the line. I have had some good conferences with evangelist and some bad. They just need to be more precautious about peoples thoughts and beliefs, before they try to change them.
I do believe that you should spread the word of God as much as you can, but I don't think that you should do it so dramatically. I don't believe that you should do the whole door to door thing spreading His word. I think that there are other wasy to do so. Such as service learning and working with the communinty. I think that it is important to share your beliefs with others with out stepping on people's toes. I think that if you are going to discuss the the matter of religion you need to know how to do it in the right way.
The story is one that i have heard and experienced. Ive had people preaching their beliefs. However i havnt had to shut the door on them to get them to leave but i can understand why. I think that evanglist are needed to spred christiany in far off areas where there my not be any means of communication on which they could learn about christany themselves. In cases like that they are needed. But in a regular town they may not be at much demand. If they go to a door and they find out that the people are already christans than they could do a pray or somthing and be on their way. I dont think that they should tell someone that they are not good enough christians. Paul probally did this and helped to convert people and help extend other peoples' curent beliefs.
J. Wilkes- Evangelists are good, but not to the extent to harassing a person about being a Christian whether they are or not. Personally, I believe that having people in this world that are not embarrassed to stand up for their beliefs are good. There should be more people in this world that help others in their beliefs. Being a Christian is not about criticizing people, it is about helping people. Having another "Paul" in this world would not be a bad thing by any means, but don't take it to the extent where you are criticizing God's children. I do not think that Christian evangelism today has the same effect on people as it did in Paul's day just because times have changed. I know that sounds cliche, but it is the 21st century and people's beliefs and ways of living have changed and been modified greatly. For better or for worse, I am not sure, but the bottom line is it has changed. Lives are different now. It is ok to give your opinion about what you strongly believe in, but it is selfish to criticize people for what THEY believe in. Evangelism is necessary because it is good to have people out there in the community knocking on people's doors and offering them the opportunity to get to know God more and to put him in your life. But, if that is not what that person wants, then that is their choice. Just like the witch on your door. Halloween decorations and costumes do not make a person a sinner. These are fun things that people do these days. It is not because they are not Christian, it is for fun and it is very harmless. Being strong-willed and being harshly opinionated are two different things. Help one another, don't discourage them.
---Angie Amick---Evangelism is good to a certain extent. Pestering people door to door is not going to convert people to Christianity as much as doing service projects and spreading God's word that way. Evangelist have drastically changed since the day of Paul. Paul had a huge influence on the christian faith, and he did it without the internet or television. I do not believe that Paul would have as big of an impact on today's societ if he came back. There are too many opinions and other forces pulling on peoples brains. There are tons of other religions not to mention science. Yes the purpose of evangelism is to spread God's word, but does it really work like it should?? NO...
I first of all want to say that i dont think christian evangelism is the same and as effective as it was during pauls time. A woman came by my door once and she was from Jehovah Witness, we asked me if i believed in God and all that As the conversation went on, i began to feel unconfortable because she was tryin to impose her believes on me. I later had to ask her to leave. Evangelist today i think want to impose their believes on you so you will follow and believe in what they believe in. I agree with Angie when she said pestering people door to door is not going to convert people to Christianity as much as doing service projects and spreading God's word that way. People are going to believe what they believe.
Evangelism will not be the same today as it was in Paul's time for one major reason....Paul was a "trail-blazer". There were not that many christians during Paul's day. Therefore, Paul had a lot of people to convert to christianity. This does not mean that there can not be any converts today, on the contrary there is always a chance to "SHOW" someone that God is wonderful. I have to agree with all those who have complained about being scrutinized over the amount of a christian you are. I was shopping with my children at Wal-mart last Sunday, and due to an illness we had not gone to church that day. There was a man in the checkout who asked my 7 year-old if we had gone to church. She politely replied,"no, not today." He proceeded to tell her that because of that, she was going to Hell. I had to intervene and ask him to leave her alone. I told him that whether or not she was in church that day was not going to determine if she went to hell. I also reminded him that Jesus was closest to God when he was alone in the wilderness. I believe that everyone worships God in different ways and to be a christian you have to be able to worship without pursecution from other so called christians. I have no doubt that the man really believed he was right. There is, however a way to convience someone to be or become a christian and scaring the crap out of them is not the right way. Hopefully, as time goes on religious ignorance will change. We can only hope.
i do have to admit that i agree with most of the comments saying evangelists get a bad name these days, and like jahova's witnesses, they have their own corresponding persona of rude and pushy.. however, i dont find the concept of evangelism, even in the door-to-door sense, to be negative.. i think the man who came to the door was wrong from the initial moment that he allowed the conversation to become heated.. i feel that someone who believes in forgiveness and understanding, and bases their life upon those values, would understand and be thankful to come to a house such as yours.. i also feel that he has directly contradicted everything he stands for and everything he chose to argue about by not returning to further discuss god and jesus.. he appears to have given up, and therefore, failed his job without attempting to succeed.. the bible talks of persistence and says that if you go to your neighbor and are in need of something, to keep knocking and keep waking them up, and be persistent, because it will pay off.. i feel that he has failed to follow this advice, and therefore, contradicted himself in a huge way.. i also feel that it is wrong to push your opinions of your beliefs on other people.. everyone's perception of christianity is differnt, and therefore, should be handled differently.. i've been fortunate enough to have pastors who simply teach and give the basics and allow you to use those tools to construct your own beliefs.. an evangelist should simply be a guide or leader, not a ruthless tyrant who has the "my way or the highway" attitude
Evangelism is the Christian act of preaching the Gospel of Jesus to non-Christians. The purpose of most evangelism is to tell them about Christianity through conversation. Evangelism is practiced to follow the instruction of Jesus and his disciples. Christians who
evangelism are known as evangelists, whether in their home communities or as missionaries. Some Christian traditions consider evangelists to be in a leadership position, and they may be found preaching to large meetings. Paul was a great evangelist, and he was different from the envangelist today. God had told Paul what to do. He was out warning people about their lives and sharing the gospel. I think the difference between Paul and people today is that it came from Pauls heart. If the people who knocked on your door step were really passionate about it why didnt they come back? Or were they just doing it cause there church told them to go to all the houses with halloween decorations. I think Christian ecangelism could be the same today if more people were doing it for the right reason. You need to do it for God, not yourself.I also agree with Angie Amick when she said pestering people door to door is not going to convert people to Christianity as much as doing service projects and spreading God's word that way. I agree with Blake when he said the man at your door was being rude. It was not his place to judge you and decide if you were a christian. The only person who can determine that is you and God. I also agree with dbedenbaugh when they said if we acted like Paul/Jesus then evangelism would be much more effective.
I think the purpose of evangelism is simply to spread the word of God. I agree with kfraser when she saids that we don't havr to do it so dramtically. Sometimes people use to phrase "run out." I sure God does not want you pestering others. In agreeing with dbedenbaugh, I say that evangelism is still important today as it was in Paul's time. Just as Paul was trying to spread the word any way possible, evangelist are doing the same today, of course with a little help from other sources (TV,computers,etc).But is it as effective as it was back then, no I say because people are way different then the way they were in Paul's time, so I would have to agree with robert lambert on that one. Hopefully someday nonbelievers will open their eyes and clean their ears and someday become Believers!
I am not really sure what evangelism is. I am not the familiar with it but if people walking from door to door is called evangelism, then their is two things that i believe about it. The first is that i believe that it is good to try and spread the word of Jesus, just like Paul did. I think that everyone should at least know who Jesus is, even if they choose not to believe in him. The second thing is that i believe that the people who go from door to door should be more respectful to the people they are talking to. Some of them might be but some are rude, just like the one Mrs. Wendland was describing. Who are they to tell a person if they are a true Christian or if they are worshiping correctly. They should not try to force people to become Christian. They should be nice and respectful of the people opinions and beliefs. They should get the hint when a person wants them to leave and they should respect them by leave quietly and peacefully. If that is what evangelism is, then it has its good points and it bad points, but doesn't everything?
I think that back in Paul's day that work better then now and that it was more excepted because now days we have so many religions that when you go to somebodies door and talk to them about your religion when they are another i dont think that is going to go well. they are going to feel like you are opposing your religion on them. When back then in paul's day lots of people were not religious. so when someone would come and talk to them about a god that could take them away from what poor life they were living. Of course they would listen and maybe except everything that is said.
I agree with the previous statement. Evangelism is very important because people need to know about the Lord. With there being so many different denominations, you don't want to offend anyone. I believe there are other ways to spread the word than going door to door, such as having something for children. If you make anything interesting people will listen.
I dont believe evangelism is near as effective as it once was in Paul's time. Some people who call themselves people of God don't show it very well when it comes to this. A man stopped my mom and me while we were in the grocery store. He was very aggressive and I guess our ways of worshipping wasn't good enough for him. We just ended up walking away from him before we became as rude as him. People like that shouldn't be evangelist.
All evangelist I have encountered have been very judgemental. Thats a good reason why people hate to see them coming their way. People will not change nothing about themselves until they are ready. Thats why we have so many churches. There is a church on just about every corner because people dont think alike. Therefore, evangelism is not as effective as back in Paul's day because if you try to push your beliefs on others, they will just go the other way.
I believe in mostyly everything that the rest of the class is saying. Evangelism is a way of reaching out to people about the grace of God. It tells us in many verses, like micheal loadholdt and bedenbaugh mentioned. We see in these versus that God is wanting us to go out and preach the gospel and tell people about a wonderfull lifetime with Him. I believe that with enough persistence and belief that someone will change and come to know God thatthey will. But if we never did try, that person would never change. Evangelism is about reaching out to those who don't know about God and teaching them about His everlasting love, and care that He has for his people.
When it comes to evangelism being the same as it was when Paul did it, its not today. Today is a whole new place, atmosphere; the times have changed so much and thats why it makes it harder to preach to people today. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. Because as the times have changed so have the ways of the evangelist. There are many new ways of reaching people, there are a number of new technological inovations that can help with this process. The ticket to all this is just deciding how to use these to benefit evangelism and use it to reach out to others.
A.Holliday
Evangelism is necessary, and it is a way of reaching out to others to spread the word of Christ. Today, evangelists work together to spread the word and even though they may be annoying, it works. And if it were not for Paul being an evangelist and telling other people about God and Jesus, then the Christian faith would not be what it is today. Today is much different than Paul's time. People aren't as open to new things and Christianity now. People even sometimes get offended when you talk about Jesus or God around them, so today is definately differnt.
Evangelism is necessary, and it is a way of reaching out to others to spread the word of Christ. Today, evangelists work together to spread the word and even though they may be annoying, it works. And if it were not for Paul being an evangelist and telling other people about God and Jesus, then the Christian faith would not be what it is today. Today is much different than Paul's time. People aren't as open to new things and Christianity now. People even sometimes get offended when you talk about Jesus or God around them, so today is definately differnt.
Evangelism is necessary, and it is a way of reaching out to others to spread the word of Christ. Today, evangelists work together to spread the word and even though they may be annoying, it works. And if it were not for Paul being an evangelist and telling other people about God and Jesus, then the Christian faith would not be what it is today. Today is much different than Paul's time. People aren't as open to new things and Christianity now. People even sometimes get offended when you talk about Jesus or God around them, so today is definately differnt.
Evangelism is necessary or God would not have called on people to do it. He still calls on people to do this today but just not in the same way he did back in Paul's time. Evangelism works in certain ways...not in the way that some people do it like the people who say you are going to Hell if you are not living like them or exactly the way they think you should be living your life. It is meant to teach people why they want to become a Christian and how and why it would make their life so much better.
i agree with most of the comments posted in that evangelism is not responded to in the same way as it was in Pauls day and age. Back then many people did not know christ very well and Paul took it upon himself to help spread the word as much as possible, because that is what he was called upon to do. People today are well educated about who Jesus is and have the opportunity to learn more and worship him everyday, it is basically our choice. Evangelism is not as effective today because people are set in what they believe at there particular churches and would rather belive what their pastor is telling them than a person who shows up at their door once every blue moon to try and tell them how to live their life. I do not believe that evangelism is a bad thing, i just belive that in today's society that evangelist should go about doing it a little differently. they should defienatly not stop trying to spread the word of God, but just not do it in such a forceful way.
i agree with most of the comments posted in that evangelism is not responded to in the same way as it was in Pauls day and age. Back then many people did not know christ very well and Paul took it upon himself to help spread the word as much as possible, because that is what he was called upon to do. People today are well educated about who Jesus is and have the opportunity to learn more and worship him everyday, it is basically our choice. Evangelism is not as effective today because people are set in what they believe at there particular churches and would rather belive what their pastor is telling them than a person who shows up at their door once every blue moon to try and tell them how to live their life. I do not believe that evangelism is a bad thing, i just belive that in today's society that evangelist should go about doing it a little differently. they should defienatly not stop trying to spread the word of God, but just not do it in such a forceful way.
yeah id have to agree with the consensus idea.Evangelism is still there, you can turn on a tv at any time and see televangelists, but they can't have the same effect that Paul had. like jim said, back in Paul's day noone knew who Jesus was, he was bringing them completely new information, whereas now everyone has a general education on who Jesus was, and what Christianity is. j boston said that evangelism isnt as effective anymore because of the evangelist's methods but i dont agree with that either, all of them are not judgemental, most of them go out of thier way to make you feel comfortable, they aren't as effective anymore because they aren't really bringing new knowledge about Jesus. The ones who are effective reel people in by telling stories about themselves or people they know and not actually any scripture or stories about Jesus.
I have to disagree with some of what Burtont said, I believe that today's evangelists are preaching from the heart. There may be some who aren't genuine, but the majority of them are definately legit.
I agree with the people that don’t think the true evangelism would work the same ways as it did in Paul’s time. First and for most because of ones ability to read the word of god and Jesus Christ from the bible; when we talk about what Paul did there wasn’t a way for people to know god as they do today. Which make many people feel as if someone is trying to convert the already converted? Also I did I the gospel of Matthew Jesus says that you should stand on street corners and preach and pray so you can be seen by other men instead pray in private. I feel that people only do evangelism work today as a way to showing off themselves as righteous men when in fact they are nothing more than seeker of approval and honoring of other.
i would have to say that Beau C and the otheres who said that "the true evangelism would work the same ways as it did in Paul’s time. First and for most because of ones ability to read the word of god and Jesus Christ from the bible;" And seeing in how my mom is an evangelis i know the ways of the way that God can work through these people. If really is a chosen thing when it comes to this typr of business
I agree with Derek when he said that evangelism is possibly more effective today with the help of technology, and even more so with Michael who talks about spreading God's word through our deeds. We are called to be disciples of Christ, to follow in his footsteps and mirror his actions and deeds.
However, when I read entries such as D. Kinard's, it is apparent that sometimes, the door-to-door evangelism becomes the archetype for all evangelism. But this is not true. I am a member of the ELCA - the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. However, knocking on people's doors and telling them they aren't being Christians correctly is not a part of the evangelism of my church. Evangelism to me is spreading God's word, telling the story, sharing your faith and your faith journey with another. It does not require that you get them to convert and baptize them on the spot. Our job as humans is not to change people's hearts. That, I believe, is God's job. It is our job to start that conversation, to open the door into faith. So when Derek states that evangelism is easier today than ever, I believe that whole-heartedly. It may be more difficult in today's culture to be viewed as credible and not a loony, which I believe is what several people were getting at. But, telling the story is key to evangelism.
I agree that it still goes on today. Evangelism is not the same today as it was in pauls day. I agree with isaacson when he says evangelism is easier today than ever. Although some people may think your loony but in fact it is the story that you tell that determines that. Overall, I feel that evangelism can still have the same effect as in pauls day. Times have changed but the same idea is still practiced.
I think that evangelism is not as effective as it was in paul's day, but it does still work. People are always looking for something to believe in. That is why there are still massive hate groups all over. You have to admire what paul did, to travel all those places to try and tell people that they need to believe what he said to go to heaven. Just think if someone did that now a days. I don't think that it would work as well as it did in pauls time. I would have to disagree that technology has made evangelism easier, I think it has made it harder. I think this is due to the information that we are expossed to and is available. As long as I can remember someone has been trying to tell me what I should believe. People pertty much have there minds made up about religion because of this, or at least people that I know. I agree that the door to door evangelist is not the right way of going about things, but I am not saying that all evangelism is bad. For example mission trips through church are a good thing. I think that you have to pick and choose you battles because I agree people are stubborn and some just dont even care, but one person can change the world. Dr Martin Luther King Jr. and Gandhi were both just one person and they changed the world.
I agree with a.lyde I don't think evangelist today would have the same affects on people as Paul did. It's a different time period. People today are not easily persuade by one person, they usually go with what they what they know, meaning what their parents taught them or how they were raised. Also some evangelist today are rude and judgmental like some of the comments stated, but like Jim Page said I don't think evangelist should stop spreading the word they just should go about doing it differently.
I agree with most of the comments, evangelist today do not have the same effects on people that paul did in his day. I also agree with wayne potts, evangelist can still have the same effects that paul did because they still practice the same things.
Evangelism then and now are completely different. In life today, this world, people will believe in what they want too. Even if there is someone who tries to go around and teach this way of life to non believers, it's up to them to make their decision. The world and everyone's thoughts have broadened drastically since time began. I can now see that the affect back then would have been much stronger than the affect in today's world. There was only one Paul, and now there are too many people trying to do what he did.
In today's world, people don't follow what the bible says as much as people did 20 years ago. Every body thinks they know what is best for them and do as they wish for the most part. As for the ones who still follow the bible, they most likely make better decisions in life which will help them achieve better things.
Post a Comment