One of the questions I receive most often when I teach the Old Testament is, "Why did God choose the Israelites?" In other words, why are they the ones, out of all the people on the earth, chosen to represent God? Why does God let the Israelites defeat all those other people when they cross into the Promised Land? There is no satisfactory way to answer these related questions. I could say that the Bible doesn't tell us. As one progresses from Genesis to Exodus, it seems as if the patriarchs were chosen at random, particularly Abraham. At least the others come from his family. I could also say that when the ancestors were chosen, they weren't yet "Israelites;" they were only a random group of people from a small village in what is now western Asia. So, in fact, God didn't really choose the Israelites, God created the Israelites to be God's people, based on God's promises to Abraham in Genesis 15 & 17. Still, neither of these answers is truly satisfactory.
Even though the Bible doesn't really give a satisfactory answer to the question, this issue of chosenness or "election" as we call it in scholarship has caused a great deal of conflict in our world. The Jews believe they are the chosen, so they want to have their own state, without any other inhabitants. The Christians believe they are chosen because Christ's sacrifice on the cross superceded the law of Moses (which the Jews follow), so they damn everyone else to hell. The whites believe they are chosen, so they have initiated all sorts of atrocities against people of other ethnicities. The USA believes it is chosen, so "God Bless America" became the battle cry for the war on terrorism after 9/11.
In the Bible, the elect are given great responsibility. Yes, they are chosen by God. No, we don't know the exact reasons. Nevertheless, it is up to them to walk in God's ways, even when their neighbors don't. It is up to them to show justice and kindness to the poor, even when they don't really feel like it. It is up to them to convert the Gentiles, though this is such a difficult task. And, when the Israelites fail to fulfill these responsibilities terrible things happen. In the Bible, being chosen does not mean being powerful; in fact, just the opposite. The chosen ones are often at the mercy of other, bigger nations.
In a recent speech at Columbia University in New York, Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad claimed that "[ruling powers] try to eliminate these cultures in order to separate the people from their identity and cut their bonds with their own history and values. they prepare the ground for stirpping people from their spiritual and material wealth by instilling in them feelings of intimidation, desire for imitation and mere consumption, submission to oppressive powers, and disability" (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/24/AR2007092401042.html [retreived Oct. 1, 2007]). President Ahmadinejad implicitly accused the United States and other "ruling powers" of using their wealth to brainwash and control scientists and researchers, as well as to oppress smaller, weaker countries.
Does he have a point? Do the "ruling powers," in our case, those who believe they are the chosen, willingly oppress the "not chosen"? If so, are they acting with the responsibility given to the elect? Why or why not?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
30 comments:
I believe that President Ahmadinejad is incorrect with his belief that "ruling powers", brainwash and control scientist and researchers. I believe that our nation uses science to help other less fortunate nations to control diseases and famine and water purification issues. There is a new commercial on TV that is asking for money to buy nets for families so that they don't contract malaria. There are scientist currently working on cures for other diseases in 3RD world countries. I can see where he would believe that our Nation is willing to oppress the "not chosen". The United States did after all go into Iraq and dictate how this nation should run its government. I don't necessarily agree with our tactics, but I also don't agree with the way Saddam and Osama Bin Ladin were treating the people of that nation. I hope that all the lives that the United States have lost will not be in vain.
i agree with jrogland in saying that president Ahmadinejad was wrong about the "ruling powers". the united states and other "ruling powers" are constantly sending supplies and raising money for 3rd world countries in need of assistants. In general, i believe that our Nation is willing to oppress the "not chosen" although sometimes i think our nation does put our nose where it doesn't belong - the most frequent example would be the war in Iraq. I think Bush was looking for a reason to enter Iraq and the 9/11 was simply his meal ticket.
No the Iran President does not have a point. He deserves a bullet in his head. The people God chose does not really matter. When Jesus went to the cross he gave everyone a chance. If you accept Jesus and live right you are good to go. America is great. God bless America. Hooha!
To Molly If you don't love leave it. Our boys are doing a great job in Iraq. Don't you believe everyone who wants to be free deserves to be free.
No I do not agree with the Iranian President. I also do not agree with some of the choices our president makes either. The most frustrating part is that there are too many questions and not enough answers. With so much happening in the world, it is hard to know who to trust. I do not know what religion is right or wrong, but I agree with Hedden in that God gives everyone the chance to accept or reject eternity in Heaven or Hell. I think that it comes back to just doing some of the basics. I believe too many people forget the 10 commandments. To me, these are not hard to understand. It seems to me that too many problems in the world reflect the 7 deadly sins. However, I am not sure if this is what others are taught in their beliefs. I think we should all be responsible for ourselves. What happened to just being kind and thoughtful to the feelings of others, even if they do not believe as we do. Just because we may not all see eye to eye, does not mean I am right or wrong. I do not force my ways of believing on others nor do I expect others to do the same to me. I do believe that evil exists among us; however, if my life is right, then what happens in the end is what really matters. But as much as I believe this, others believe differently. I agree with JRohland that science is used to help others and answer questions. However, the part that causes the most problems is that once we have an answer to something, it is science. But it is what we do not know that causes the hatred and wars, etc.
i am feeling molly when she said " I think Bush was looking for a reason to enter Iraq and the 9/11 was simply his meal ticket." And what Hedden said, "the Iran President does not have a point. He deserves a bullet in his head. The people God chose does not really matter. When Jesus went to the cross he gave everyone a chance. If you accept Jesus and live right you are good to go. America is great. God bless America. Hooha!" hits on the strong points as well. My thoughts on who is choosen or think that they are choosen might want to be careful about there actions and the things that they say
I think that God does have a set people that he chose in the Bible. The reason for this is because God made a covenant with Abraham and Jocob saying that there heirs would be in the chosed line. Jacob's name actually gets turned into Israel when he wrestles with an angle of God. The people that God chose were from this line of people. No I do not think that now a days people think they are the so called chosed ones. If you believe in God then everything is on the same playing surface.
As the wealthiest and most powerful nation in the world, we have a responsibility to maintain order and to aid those who are less fortunate. Ignoring problems such as genocide and poverty when we are in a position to help is just as bad as inflicting these problems ourselves. Granted, many nations resent the United States' dominant role in international politics. However, is their resentment warranted, or is it simply jealousy? The nations that resent the United States the most are the ones that are trying to develop nuclear weapons and exert their military prowess. Iran and North Korea are perhaps the two most prominent examples of such nations. Both countries desperately want to be recognized as leading world powers, and are willing to develop dangerous weapons to achieve this goal. Is the United States "bullying" these countries when we become involved in their internal politics, or are we trying to protect the rest of the world from destruciton? I believe that jrohland is correct in her assumption that the United States is using its influence to improve the world, not oppress it. Suppose that the United States (the elect), isolated itself from international politics. What other nation could stop countries like North Korea and Iran from using their nuclear weapons against weaker countries? It is our responsibility to defend those who cannot defend themselves. We are not oppressing the "non chosen", we are using the power that we have been given to help others. "Bullying" countries like Iran and North Korea is sometimes necessary in order to prevent disaster on a larger scale.
God did have a set of chosen people. And he chose those people through a certain bloodline. In this case, I believe that Ahmadinejad is incorrect. American's (the "ruling powers") are doing everything they can to help in the Middle East. We are sending soldiers over seas to fight to get ride of the evil, such as Sadam, and restore the cities and culture.
I'm not going to say that i agree with what the Iranian president said about americans wanting to eliminate cultures and what not. Not the same man who said the holocaust never happened i mean be for real, but at the same time i can see how he would think that he could get away with saying that.
Countries fear us, they know that we are powerful. its like we're the big kid on the playground, intimidating, when he sees another kid threatening his power he puts the kid in their placce. Now, some of the smaller kids are going to look up to that and respect it because they wouldnt do it, but those kids that want to try to gain some power on the playground are worried that he may come after them if they get whatever he considers too much power. Countries like north korea and iran dont want to be viewed as weaker than us, they want to be just as powerful but they feel like they have to be defensive about it because they know we'll only let them go so far. they try to get us to do something to them so that other small countries will change their admiring view of us and see us as a tyrant. that is why he said that. and maybe he has somewhat of a point.
When we went into Iraq we went there because we knew that Sadaam didnt like us and that eventually Sadaam would be able to cause us unspeakable harm on our soil. We knew the technology was out there, we didnt know if they had it or not but we took advantage of our opportunity to get in there and find out if they had it and in the meantime we said while we're in here why dont we capture Sadaam so that his people can persecute him for his crimes against them and we can be rid of him alltogether. We are now in the midst of trying to get them to think like us politically so we can have one more ally in the middle east so we can fight off those over there who we know are developing the weapons that could harm us. so yeah i agree with dbedenbaugh's statement that sometimes it is necessary to push our weight around we know that soon there will be weapons out there that could create all kinds of damage on the global scale and we know who is going to have them. and we are trying to stop them. we dont care about changing people's culture and history, we just want to survive. when we go to 3rd world countries we are trying to show those other countries that that, hey we're not trying to make the entire world think like americans, we care about the rest of you all out there, and want you to prosper. but if a country is a threat to human kind we're gonna do what we gotta do.
I believe that the US (as a ruling power) has generally good intentions, but does meddle in others affairs. TV stations are constantly showing commercials with poor, malnourished children and asking for money to help them out. By doing so, we are not trying to change them in any way. We are simply using our means to help them out, means that they usually don't have. If we don't help those countries out (using whatever means necessary), then who will? With the wealth our country has, we are trying to help other countries out wherever possible. There is absolutely no intention of "brainwashing" anyone. The US simply offers advice wherever it feels it is needed, though sometimes it seems we do offer too much advice. I agree with debedenbaugh that if we are in a position to help, then we should. It's worse to let these sorts of issues go ignored than to "meddle" in others affairs.
i agree molly when she said " I think Bush was looking for a reason to enter Iraq and the 9/11 was simply his meal ticket." And what Hedden said, "the Iran President does not have a point. Every nation thinks that they are the chosen one. The fact of the matter is everyone wants to be the chosen one and try to justify their reasoning. One thing i believe is that the nations with the resources should have the right to help those who needs it.
I would say that god did not chose them from the start, from what you stated in the reading. i say that from everything that they had been put throught he then chose them. I think that it does not rain on people everyday the sun has to come out sometimes. I don't think anybody is chosen from birth, it is what you do that matters.
i agree whit Molly in some ways. I believe that the USA and other countries are helping many third wold countries by sending supplies and helping the countries with toubles. But sometimes countries use it to even get more control and power from these "weak" countries. I believe that the bible says that the israelites were chosen ones beacuse the bible was written by them and people that belong to the area. Also at the time the israelites were a weak country that was control by assyria, egypt, babylom, persia and more civilizations like the greek and romans. I think that they are the chosens to prevel in earth and they are protected by God. Like you said in the blog "It is up to them to show justice and kindness to the poor, even when they don't really feel like it. It is up to them to convert the Gentiles, though this is such a difficult task"
I totally agree with jrohland, comment. I am not really sure on our tatics but i know that we are trying to better other countries people and how they run their government.The United States are always helping other 3rd world countries out by sending them food and clothes for there people, as an agreement to molly's comment. I also agree with haley's comment on how that i you believe in God and worship him, than the playing field. I though, "Everyone was created equal?" So how is to say that one person or nationally is better than another?
Like Jenny, I don't agree with President Ahmadinejad and the "ruling powers". I consider what he is doing to be brain washing and don't agree with it at all. I also don't think that we are to judge any one religion to be correct. I totally agree with tyovermyer's statement that we are not to say that one person or nationality is better than another. God doesn't judge and neither should we.
I also agree with Jenny, I don't agree with the "ruling powers". I don't anybody has the right to say who's religion is right or wrong. Israel is just the place where it all started, people shouldn't question or judge because God is the only one who can judge any of us.
I agree with Molly and jrohland when they said President Ahmadinejad was wrong about the "ruling powers". I believe God may have chosen people in the Bible, but now I don't think He has chosen ones. It's the way you chose to live your life. If you follow His word you will be bless accordingly.
I apologize in advance for my views and if you take offense to them then there is probably a reason for it
wow, aren’t yall a heard of brainwashed little cattle yourself. I personally have to agree with President Ahmadinejad on this topic, I'm not saying I'd invite him over for Sunday lunch but the man has a point. America has a violent history of being a bully, a prime example is how we acquired that panama canal of ours, we started a war because they wouldn't sell us that land.
We have always used our size, our power, and our numbers to intimidate other peoples of the world, the united states has proclaimed itself the land of the free when we still have problems of racism today, such as the jena situation. In a country of hypocrites I can't help but to speak my mind at this. The man has a point, sure we do spend billions of dollars helping third world countries to purify water, and provide food and medicine.
but then there is the fact that such efforts are actually leading to the furthering destruction of the planet as we overpopulate what we can reasonably handle by increasing the amount of death control in the world, but not birth control we are overloading the earth., if you question me on this, read brave new world revisited, the essay on overpopulation, by Huxley.
But back to the issue at hand. The united states and other countries, though none others to a degree even nearing the states, has always been oppressive in nature and does things for its own gain, that is why we are one of the last remaining superpowers, because no matter what the United states has focused always on self preservation and trying to keep everyone enjoying cheap internet and cable and making sure gas prices are as low as possible.
So for those who thought that President Ahmadinejad needed a bullet to the head, then you are degrading yourself to his level at that second, how non Christian of you, hypocrites. And for those of you who disagree with bush well, now you have a reason to not want to put a bullet in my head because I disagree with the idiotic Texan as much as you do.
and for everyone who took offense to it, think of what I said for a minute, try to research and prove me wrong if you like, but you might just find that I'm making some sense.
Like jward, hporter, kfraser, and rholand I agree that president ahmadinejad was not correct when it came to "ruling powers". I believe God did choose us all. Our guys are doing a lot for people in other countries. I may not agree with everything we do, but i certaintly don't agree with what osama bin ladin is doing.
I really have to agree with Mr. Collins on this issue, he who has the most power has always told others what to do. We face a world which now hates us because of our power. Terrorist-cells are all but impenitrable with today's level of communication and technology. Their word can spread with a click of a button.
As the last superpower, we now face the growing threat of China, the one country where our technology counts for almost nothing as they outnumber us at least 4 to 1. We should all know from our history lessons how much China has worked to oppress those who are standing in its way. North Korea is a prime example of such. It was only a few years ago that we faced potential nuclear disaster from the country no larger than South Carolina, yet China pulled its big muscle out and told N. Korea to shove it, else China could stop sending food.
Really, it's just a process of us smaller individuals losing scope of the grand scheme of things as the world around us degrades into a truly Orwellian society. Thanks for stepping forward, Jason!
I agree with jward, jrohland, and kfraser. We all believe that President Ahmadinejad is incorrect with his belief that "ruling powers", brainwash and control scientist and researchers. Jrohland makes a great point when she states that our nation uses science to help other less fortunate nations to control diseases and famine and water purification issues. We (USA) are always helping other nations in anyway possible. Gina states a good point aslo that there are too many questions and not enough answers. Hedden made a statement that sums it up...God gives everyone the chance of going to Heaven or Hell. He never judged us for the things we do so why are we judging others? I don't think that the "chosen ones" oppress the "un chosen ones." I mean if they are God's people than they shouldn't be judgemental at all.
I disagree with President Ahmadinejad calling United States a "Ruling power" and that we (the USA) use our wealth to brainwash and control scientists and researchers, as well as to "oppress smaller", and weaker countries. The United states was founded on the fact that they were not ever going to "oppress" another country being that England did it to us. Yes Americas not perfect and yes america doesn't have the perfect place to live, but which country does??? America just wants to help other countries get on there feet. My point is that if you don't want the help don't take it! And don't bash other for it.
I agree with numerous comments above. I do not agree with President Ahmadinejad calling the US a "ruling power". Yes we are a very wealthy country, but we do help numerous other countries by sending supplies and other stuff. I definitely agree with HEdden. God does give everyone the option to choose their own beliefs and Heaven and Hell. People have to make their own decisions though. Although Americans do not make all the correct decisions, i do not believe that we Oppress the not-chosen people.
I agree with jward, jrohland, and kfraser. I think that President Ahmadinejad is wrong when he said that the "ruling powers" tend to brainwash and control scientists and researchers. I believe that God has chosen people, even today. Everyone makes their own decisions, so they may or not be acting with the responsibility that they should be acting with.
To Michael B.
If we don't care about changing a nation's culture and history, then why are we trying to get them to think like us so we can have another ally?
i too agree. The US and other "ruling powers" always collecting money and supplies to send to thoes coutries that are without. Overall, i think that our country is trying to make things better and help thoes in need. I think that Pres. Bush was fisihing his daddy's fight and that when 911 happened things couldve might have been hanndled with out us goin to war. Or that he should've at least tried to fix the problem with out killing millions.
I believe that people who think that they are the chosen ones try to oppress the people that they believe are not the chosen ones. It is like they think they are better than everyone and that the people who are not the chosen ones should be treated like dirt. If the people who think they are the elect are actually the elect, then I believe that they are abuses their responsiblility. I think they should treat everyone like equals, even if they are not part of the elect. They should set an example for what a elect person should act like so that the non elect will have some people to look at. If the elect act like they are above everyone else, then no one will want to be part of the elect and they will eventually be wiped out.
For most people there is a fine line between religion and government. Conflicts in the middle east have been going on before the Bible was even written. A war that has been going on for so long will be one that is hard to stop. All groups are going to continue to believe thay are the chosen ones. However, I belive that we are all chosen by God to does his work on earth. Different governments do realize the conflicts going on and try to help in the best way they se fit, wether in the ling run it turns out to be right or worng.
The people that believe that they are the chosen one try to opress the others that they do not believe are. Instead of acting with the responsibility that they are given they are abusing their authority in the process.
I think that the president does not have a point because regardless of who God has chosen and who God is gonna choose when he comes back he is gonna judge us for what we are doing for him now so if you think you are "chose" you are still no better then anyone else. You still have to live the way God wants you to live and thats all that matters in the end.
Post a Comment